The following is a copy of the email released this afternoon advising that due to a recent change in COVID-19 restrictions in NSW, the DGA has had to take a late notice decision to defer certain Pennant matches scheduled for Thursday 20 August 2020.

The email is set out below.

Dear Clubs, Captains, Team Contacts and Officials

URGENT – ACT Monaro Pennant play tomorrow is affected

Garry Heald (DGA Pres) and Jim Jackson (DGA Captain) have agreed that I issue the following urgent update regarding ACT Monaro Pennant play tomorrow.

Our apologies for this very late notice, but this development really only came to notice yesterday morning and we have been in consultation with Golf NSW over the last 24 hours.

In view of the newly-introduced NSW Chief Health Officer recommendations affecting community sport across NSW and travel across different areas, the DGA has taken the difficult decision to defer – not yet cancel – contests involving Queanbeyan (Senior Scratch Semi-Final) and Goulburn (Snr Handicap final round) until further notice.  The DGA Executive would prefer to look for ways to salvage the Pennants program if at all possible, rather than abandon it for affected Divisions at this stage, given how close we are to completion. 

Golf NSW has suspended or cancelled all Pennants they host for the next 6 weeks, and are seeking clarification of the impact of the CHO advice, which may or may not provide clearance for the purposes of resuming our schedule.  They have advised us that such clarification is unlikely in time for us to make a decision today on tomorrow’s Senior Pennants contests.  Golf NSW regards this approach on our part to be the right one.

Two contests tomorrow are deferred until further notice:

  • Yowani v Queanbeyan, 11am at Belconnen (Snr Scratch S/F)
  • Gold Creek v Goulburn, 1030 at Fairbairn (Snr Handicap last preliminary contest)

The Snr Scratch S/F between Gungahlin Lakes and Royal should proceed at 11:30 at Belconnen as scheduled.

Could relevant contacts please acknowledge receipt of this notice by return email.  

Pennant Play on Sunday 23 August

No decision has been made at this point.

If clarification is favourable before the weekend, we may be able to proceed with all contests as scheduled for this Sunday 23 August which involve NSW-based teams.  If not, we will advise modified arrangements by noon Friday 21st.

With apologies for the inconvenience of the late notice.

Les Wallace

DGA Vice President